The Temple Church organ was a generous gift from Lord Glentanar after the War, and it replaced the instrument that was destroyed in May 1941.
Originally built in 1926 for Glen Tanar House in Scotland, the organ is a wonderful example of Romantic English Organ building by one of the UK’s most prestigious organ builders, Harrison & Harrison ltd. It contains over 3,000 pipes ranging from 32-foot in length to just a few centimetres. The action to make these pipes play is intricate and contains many parts. Over time, wood warps, leather deteriorates and dirt builds up. As the decades pass, this complicated instrument needs overhauling and repairing in order that it gives further decades of excellent service.
The organ will be removed from its chamber in July 2011 and over the next 18 months cleaning and repairing will take place. It will be heard again - in its renewed splendour - at Easter 2013.
This major undertaking, which will ensure that the majestic voice of the organ continues to be at the heart of our music for the next forty years, is costly. We are gratified that that now, in summer 2011, the pledges and donations exceed £400,000 of the £750,000 to be raised. All further support will be warmly welcomed; to find out more the Development Consultant, Penny Jonas.